NOW SOLVED: Guess where this is!

• 10 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
NOW SOLVED: Guess where this is!
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:12:04 AM »
The "guess what this is" plant picture competitions are great fun - even if infuriating, as my guesses about John's pictures are usually very wild of the mark!
Let's try something similar, but with interesting public gardens/parks etc in mediterranean-climate areas. Here's one to start the ball rolling - where is it, and what is the garden called?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:47:00 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

Re: Guess where this is!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »
No idea!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 05:31:43 PM »
OK, here's a clue - he's a well-known bigot who died in 1897
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Pescalune

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »
Could by any chance this garden or park be in Nîmes and the statue be that of Alphonse Daudet?
Pescalune

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »
The first part of your question - yes, in Nîmes! So what is the name of the garden? Further hint: no, the statue is not Daudet - my clue may slightly have misled you, it was a crossword-puzzle-type clue (i.e. slightly tricksy) though the date of death I gave is correct.
Alisdair Aird

pamela

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »
Is it not François Bigot??
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

pamela

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »
or rather M. Antoine Bigot ??

pamela

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 07:33:55 PM »
Antoine Hippolyte Bigot, né à Nîmes le 27 février 1825 et mort à Nîmes le 7 janvier 1897, est un poète français d'expression languedocienne (provençal, dialecte de Nîmes).

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 07:13:59 AM »
Brilliant, Pamela, you've got the right poet. As a matter of interest, was that just your encyclopaedic knowledge of Languedoccian poetry, or a deft bit of googling?
Still waiting for the name of the garden itself....
Alisdair Aird

Pescalune

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 09:51:31 AM »
Is it then the "Jardins de la Fontaine" , "près de la Tour Magne à Nîmes?"
Pescalune

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 11:10:36 AM »
Yes, Jean, you have it exactly right.
We visited these fascinating gardens at the MGS meeting in Uzés in 2006. I've added a note about them to the Places to Visit section, as they are very much worth a visit if you're anywhere near. Click here to see it, and a few photos.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 03:14:57 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird