MGS Projects

• 17 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: MGS Projects
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »
David, Trevor and Carole, just to let you and everyone know that the rest of us on the committee are solidly behind John in his efforts on this, so as John says your helpful ideas will be one of the more cheerful and inspiring things we have to talk about at our next meeting. It's great to know that you're enthusiastic!

A small project has been running at the Sparoza garden since last year, with occasional demonstrations there to help teachers from several local primary schools get some practical guidance on what would be involved in setting up and running small ornamental gardens for the kids there, using climate-compatible plants and techniques (as at the inspiring school in Larnaca which John showed us all during the AGM that he organised in Cyprus a few years ago, but on a much more modest scale).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »
Some info for those out there who may be involved with, or at least interested in, gardening projects in schools. I have been informed about a company called Franchi Seeds of Italy and it seems that they are offering free seeds to schools. Apparently all that is required is for the school to contact them on grow@italianingredients.com. If anyone follows this up any feedback would be appreciated.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
Will do John, I am busy planning my first project with our local school- a plant sale to provide money to get things going. To have such an offer in Italy is perfect and I will certainly follow it up as soon as possible.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.