The village cats

• 4 Replies

Daisy

The village cats
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:05:35 AM »
Every Greek village has it's population of local cats. My village is no exception.
A couple of village cats have taken up residence, the rest, visit occasionally.
They like to.....

help me sweep up the bougainvillea blossoms....

...just take a stroll...

...sit on my peg bag...

...sit on my seats...

....and just generally make themselves at home.

This one is the best behaved cat in my garden. He is no trouble at all.

Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Umbrian

• Email
Re: The village cats
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:18:23 AM »
Love all the 'photos Daisy- more chances to appreciate your wonderful planting as obviously the cats do too. A real tonic whilst recovering from a particularly nasty 'flu attack that had left me feeling jaded - now I feel ready to get up and go again!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
Last spring a good-sized tortoise suddenly appeared outside our front door, and the stray cat that had adopted us was very interested. The  tortoise seemed to enjoy some vetches which grow abundantly in spring.

P4300794-Edit The tortoise and the cat.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Daisy

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 08:03:28 AM »
Sorry to hear that you have been ill Carole. I hope you are getting better, although I know that after flu, you need a long convalescence.

Jorun, I love that photo of your cat and the tortoise. The cat looks fascinated by the tortoise.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 04:07:05 PM »
Thanks for your good wishes Daisy - mind over matter I decided and so ventured out today to do some gentle weeding in the sunshine - am already feeling better - the garden has worked its magic. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.