Unknown citrus fruit

• 17 Replies

Caroline

Re: Unknown citrus fruit
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 11:47:34 PM »
I think crystallising kumquats would work better than using limequats - mine at least are extremely seedy!
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »
The coffee beans would cut the kumquat richness interestingly - the peel has a sort of intense "essence of ripe citrus", despite the juice's sharpness.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 10:32:09 PM »
I found a recipe combining orange and coffee beans:

Liqueur 44
1 orange
44 coffee beans
44 sugar cubes
1 litre alcohol
Make 44 cuts in the orange and insert the 44 coffee beans. Place in a jar with 44 sugar cubes and cover with the alcohol. Drink after 44 days.

Sounds like a lot of sugar and plenty of coffee, I believe I used more fruit and less sugar/coffee.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.