Ugly brute ID'd by Mike Hardman as Acherontia atropos, Death's-head Hawk moth

• 6 Replies

John J

Spotted this on one of our Brugmansias today. About 8 cm in length. Anyone recognise this ugly brute?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:33:34 AM by Fleur Pavlidis »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Ugly brute
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 06:55:20 AM »
John,

It is Daphnis neril's caterpiller at its final stage before becoming a cocoon.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John J

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »
Thanks, Oron.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 07:43:37 AM »
Interesting observation, John; I haven't seen one like that.

I don't think it is Daphnis nerii; I think it is Acherontia atropos (death's head hawk moth), which is rarer.
Even in its brown phase, Daphnis nerii shows the pseudo eye spot, and it doesn't have the diagonal lines on the sides.

Here's an Acherontia atropos larva in its more usual colours.
I found it wandering up my driveway a couple of weeks ago.
It is as big as my index finger.
I wonder if I will ever see the very impressive adult...
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 07:26:32 AM »
I think you are right Mike it is Acherontia atropos
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John J

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 08:22:04 AM »
Thanks Mike, and Oron, whatever it is it has since disappeared and, like you, Mike I wonder if we'll ever see the adult.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 08:50:17 AM »
John,

I turned my back on my one and it was gone; I just could not find it; I hope it is now safely out of harm's (gardener's) way!
They can pupate in leaf litter, but they can also burrow 30cm or more down in the soil to do so.
I hope yours is safe, too
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England