BARCELONA Botanical Garden: really a thematic garden as regards the Mediterr

• 3 Replies

steveit

• Email
Botanical Garden of Barcelona (Carrer Dr.Font i Quer,2 - 08038 Barcelona)
I have visited this garden in autumn 2012 and I was impressed by the beauty and the richness of the vegetation contained. At the time however was rather lacking in vegetation from California. However recommend to all those who have the opportunity to go to Barcelona to visit it because it’s really a thematic garden as regards the Mediterranean flora.
The collections at the Botanical Garden contain representative samples of the plants that grow in the Mediterranean climate, so in addition to the plants of the Mediterranean basin, there are those from California, central Chile, southern South Africa and south and southwest Australia. The similarity of the landscapes in these regions provided the inspiration behind the Botanical Garden of Barcelona. The plants are organized in sectors corresponding to their geographical origin and landscaped to mimic their natural habitat. Higher areas of the Garden contain Mediterranean forest landscapes, while central and lower areas feature scrubland communities.                                                                                                                                     The main purpose of the Botanical Garden of Barcelona is thus to conserve the biodiversity of Catalonia and other Mediterranean regions and to promote scientific understanding so that people become more aware of the need to conserve our environment.
My garden is in Italy, near Rimini (zone 8a) on the adriatic coast, 100 km south of  Bologna. It is on the hill (200 m. asl) 5000 m2 and I grow many mediterranan plants from the world, but also I try to acclimate plants of subtropical areas and cacti,succulent...

Umbrian

• Email
Stevit I agree that the Botanic Garden in Barcelona is a gem and well worth a visit. Often I find Botanic Gardens interesting but uninspiring but in Barcelona, as you pointed out, the landscaping brings everything into focus and opens your eyes to new possibilities both for plants and how to position them. It was the first port of call for a group of members embarking on a tour of Catalonia a few years ago and, rather than being an obligatory "must do" visit, became for me one of the highlights.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Trevor Australis

Is this the BG up on the side of Mont Juic? If so it's my recollection it was built for the Olympic Games as part of the overall landscape improvements to dress the city for the event. It was designed by modern eco-landscape architects so bears no resemblance to traditional 19thC European botanical gardens.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

steveit

• Email
yes, it is the botanical garden located on the side of Montjuic!   :)
My garden is in Italy, near Rimini (zone 8a) on the adriatic coast, 100 km south of  Bologna. It is on the hill (200 m. asl) 5000 m2 and I grow many mediterranan plants from the world, but also I try to acclimate plants of subtropical areas and cacti,succulent...