Jardin Exotique in Monaco – Cacti and succulents

• 2 Replies

JTh

• Email
Jardin Exotique in Monaco – Cacti and succulents
« on: November 04, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
The program at the AGM in Menton also included a visit to the Jardin Exotique in Monaco, which has a vast selection of cacti and succulents. They have so far maybe not been my favourite plants, but I must say I was quite impressed with this garden situated in the steep hillside above Monaco. It was really spectacular, the garden was very well kept and many of the plants were magnificent.
There were some slightly kitschy ornaments at the top, but they were probably meant to amuse children

I would be very happy if anybody could add names to some of these cacti, many of them are unknown to me and I couldn't see any label.

Echinocactus grusonii, or mother-in-law's cushion:
_Z180487 Cactus and kitsch.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

Myrtillocactus cochal
_Z180489 Myrtillocactus cochal Jardin Exotique Monaco.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

_Z180493 Cactus and view from Jardin Exotique Monaco.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

_Z180496  Kaktus Jardin Exotique Monaco.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

Name?
_Z180497 Kaktus Jardin Exotique Monaco.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

_Z180499 Kaktus Jardin Exotique Monaco.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

Name?
_Z180500 Giant cactus Jardin Exotique Monaco.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

_Z180505 Kaktus Jardin Exotique Monaco.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

These cristate forms of columnar cacti were quite spectacular, but which species are they?
_Z180507 Columnar cacti forma cristata.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

Name:
_Z180509 Cuddly cactus Jardin Exotique Monaco.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

Cereus peruvianus or not?
_Z180510 Cereus peruvianus 'Monstrose'.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

Cereus, but which one?
_Z180514 Strange fruit Jardin Exotique Monaco.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

_Z180517 Cactus Jardin Exotique Monaco.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

I would love to get name of this one:
_Z180519 Cactus in bloom Jardin Exotique Monaco.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

_Z180530 Utsikt fra Jardin Exotique Monaco.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Re: Jardin Exotique in Monaco – Cacti and succulents
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 08:16:24 AM »
Dear Jorum,

Hi. I am Mary Michaelides and I am the president of the Cyprus Cactus and Succulent Society. John Joynes has brought this post to my attention. Jardin Exotique is one the best destinations for cacti and other succulent lovers world wide, thanks for the virtual tour.  I am not at all knowledgeable in the cacti department I have to admit, my love is the other succulents but I asked one of our experts on the island for help.  You must appreciate it is not easy to identify cacti species especially from a single photo. So if your photos had numbers this is what Loria had to say.  The ones not mentioned we have no idea.  

(5) Loria is not sure but she thinks that the one that is whiter might be a kind of Espostoa

(9) Loria believes that the  one in centre might be Marginatocereus marginatus f. cristata and the one on the right side is either Myrtillocactus geometrizans f. cristata or Trichocereus pachanoi f. cristata.

(10) Cleistocactus straussii f. cristata

(11) Marginatocereus marginatus

I hope above helps some.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:38:12 PM by Alisdair »

JTh

• Email
Re: Jardin Exotique in Monaco – Cacti and succulents
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:26:55 AM »
Dear Mary and Loria (and John),

Thank you so much for your reply, I know it is difficult to identify a plant from a single photo, but I am very grateful for what you gave me, it's a good start. The place was really stunning, really worth a visit.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.