Cliff-top flora of Pennington bay, Kangaroo Island

• 6 Replies

Jamus

Cliff-top flora of Pennington bay, Kangaroo Island
« on: October 27, 2014, 11:46:49 PM »

On the weekend I did a walk to a headland at a place called Pennington Bay. The flora on the rocky, limestone cliff tops is fascinating so I thought I'd share some images for those interested in such things.

I haven't had time to put names to all of them yet

Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

Joanna Savage

Re: Cliff-top flora of Pennington bay, Kangaroo Island
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:32:09 PM »
Jamus, thanks for your excellent ecological essay. Again I wonder why I garden when Nature does it so well.

Jamus

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 09:32:25 PM »

Thanks Joanna and I know what you mean, these harsh environments often result in very 'tidy' looking landscapes, everything pruned and dwarfed by the wind and the lack of available nutrients. They say hardship builds character and it's certainly true in the plant world.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:44:55 PM »
Beautiful pics Jamus. Thanks for sharing. KI is such a beautiful place. I've only been once but should go again.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 07:51:51 AM »
Must echo the thoughts of fellow members  - lovely 'photos of a beautiful area that illustrate the possibilities for planting things that will cope with the prevailing conditions. Photograph number 7 in particular shows a wonderful variety of habit, leaf form and colour, and flowering plants that would enhance any garden.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »
Jamus, serves me right for being away from the forum since last month, because now on my return I've only been able to open one (utterly tempting!) of your pictures - with all the others, a Flickr message says "currently unavailable"! I'll keep trying....
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Jamus

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 05:54:24 AM »

Ahh! sorry my friends, I was 'organising' my flickr account and moved those images. Apparently I deleted them, so I will have to re-upload. I'll try to fix it tonight if the kids give me a moment to myself.