Verbascum phoeniceum 'Violetta'

• 5 Replies

Jamus

Verbascum phoeniceum 'Violetta'
« on: October 22, 2014, 04:00:11 PM »
I collected seed from my Verbascum 'Violetta' last summer and raised a lot of new plants. The first of these started flowering yesterday and to my surprise are something different, although very nice and I'm not at all disappointed. I wonder does anyone know if this form segregates or perhaps the bees have hybridised it with my V. chaixii album? Although these are a little later flowering. I'm thrown a little by the fact that there are three plants flowering and all appear to be identical, without variation between them...

Violetta, parent

Progeny of violetta

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:51:00 PM by Jamus »
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Verbascum phoeniceum 'Violetta'
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:34:24 AM »
Stunning Verbascums Fermi - I love them but they do not perform well for me - any tips on what growing conditions they like? I do get some spontaneous " wild " annual ones that have dainty yellow flowers with a maroon marking at the base of the petals - have never managed to identify them. This year they have grown particularly well as it has been unusually wet - perhaps that is the secret ?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 07:37:41 AM »
Apologies all round - I meant Jamus when I wrote Fermi :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:45:30 AM »
Could your Verbascum be sinuatum? We get wild ones appearing from time to time. See thread called Disasters under Our Gardens for a photo.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 01:42:28 PM »
Apologies all round - I meant Jamus when I wrote Fermi :)
No offence taken ;D
Jamus takes much better pics than I do!
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Jamus

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 09:27:05 AM »

Conditions for growth - free draining, neutral to alkaline, full sun, dry summers (a little supplemental water), wet winters. Spring flowering.
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.