Moss

• 2 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Moss
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:38:52 AM »
After an unusually wet year last year, I have infestations of moss in some areas of the garden. It is the loose, rather ferny looking kind and in some places has climbed into the lower stems of small shrubs, lavender etc. It pulls off fairly easily and I am wondering if it is wise to add it to my compost heap or would it be better not burn it?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
Re: Moss
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »
I found some advice from the RHS:

'The dead moss can be added to the compost heap. Although slow to rot in bulk, moss can be composted if well mixed with plenty (four times the volume of the moss) of other ingredients. Moss can be stored and added gradually as other ingredients become available. As moss is very widespread any spores that survive the composting process won’t add significantly to the risk of moss forming in the garden.'
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Moss
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 06:31:50 AM »
Thanks Jorun - I have plenty of other material to layer with it after the spring tidy up (still under way as the ageing body begins to complain more every year!)
On a bright note I have some good compost this year after last year's wetter summer. Now just have to find the energy to barrow it to the most needy parts of the garden.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.