What is this 74? NOW SOLVED

• 8 Replies

John J

What is this 74? NOW SOLVED
« on: December 03, 2014, 11:21:06 AM »
Umbrian asked for something more interesting. I'm not sure if this will fit the bill, I guess we'll find out from responses.
Is it Animal, Vegetable or Mineral? Or maybe even Alien!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:13:17 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Bracey

• Email
Re: What is this 74?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »
It' s a scale from a pine cone.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
Sorry, David, but it's a little larger and 3 dimensional than that.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 02:15:31 PM »
It seems to be a cross between a fish and a pear.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Miriam

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 03:28:09 PM »
Stephanotis floribunda fruit?
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 03:42:41 PM »
Solanum phoxocarpum?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 05:32:48 PM »
I like the cross between a fish and a pear, Jorun. The Solanum is a new one on me but having looked it up I see what you mean.
I know the photo doesn't have anything to compare size to, Miriam, but Stephanotis fruit is larger than this.

HansA

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »
Paulownia tomentosa seed pod?
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

John J

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 05:45:51 AM »
Well spotted, HansA. I thought we might keep that one going for a while.