Sooty deposit

• 4 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Sooty deposit
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:30:52 AM »
I have a horrible, sticky sooty deposit on the upper surfaces  of the leaves of 2 Oleanders  - the stickiness seems to be on surrounding plants although not the sooty deposit. Can anyone tell me what it is and how to combat it please?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Caroline

Re: Sooty deposit
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
You may have an infestation of minute scale insects which are secreting honeydew, which in turn is attracting the sooty mould.  It is a problem I get on my citrus; the answer is to spray for the scale insects.  I use something called Conqueror Oil which is petroleum-based - three applications at 14-day intervals. Alternatively, what about oleander aphids (little orange things which look more like pollen than aphids)?  They could be attracting something which is producing the honey-dew, and therefore causing the mould.

Let us know how you get on - unfortunately the sooty mould takes a while to wash off under winter rains. 
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Trevor Australis

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:26:11 AM »
Make sure you use a Winter oil to avoid scald and defoliation should the sun still produce hot days.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 07:48:27 AM »
Many thanks Caroline and Trevor for your advice - I am thinking in fact that the Oleanders will have to go I never realised how messy that can be. They are two big ones that I inherited in my new town garden and do provide screening in the one area where we are overlooked. I reduced them by half last year to rejuvenate them and hoped to do the other half this year but have been disappointed by the continual dead leaf drop that seems to be non ending and makes the whole area where they are situated a continual mess.....since the garden is quite small I do not want any areas that spoil it - and make such a lot of work!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Caroline

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 12:57:53 AM »
Maybe they are shedding leaves because of whatever is causing the sooty mould? Just an idea - if they've got to go, they've got to go. :)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline