What is this 71? Now solved!

• 3 Replies

John J

What is this 71? Now solved!
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:06:32 AM »
OK, Hilary, here's another one for you. A fruit, certainly, but of what?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:08:34 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: What is this 71?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 07:26:20 AM »
No takers so far? Don't be put off by the reference to fruit (actually technically it's a drupe) and it is not an exotic from the tropics, it's very much a native of the Mediterranean.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Miriam

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:23:56 AM »
Styrax officinalis?
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

John J

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 02:04:36 PM »
Excellent, Miriam, well done. I was beginning to think I'd have to come up with some cryptic clues and I couldn't.
Apparently in the past Styrax has been used here in Cyprus for a variety of reasons. The pulped fruit was used to kill lice and/or as a narcotic to stun eels in the mountain streams to make them easier to trap. A fragrant resin from the bark was used to scent clothing or as a substitute for frankincense.
In gardens it is useful as a very drought tolerant shrub that has scented white flowers in spring and early summer.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:06:44 PM by John J »