Food from unusual plants

• 4 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Food from unusual plants
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »
In response to this suggestion from Cali, I'm starting a thread on using as food leaves, fruits, roots etc from plants not usually thought of as fruit or veg.
I hope Cali will give us some of her myrtle (and other) recipes!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Cali

Myrtle or lentisk bread
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »
Myrtle or Lentisk Bread
250 gr wholewheat flour (or a mixture of wholewheat and barley)
100 gr White flour
4 Tbsp. olive oil
2.5 Tbsp. Fresh Berries (or reconstituted dried ones)
3 Tbsp. Red wine (sweet or aromatic is fine)
1tsp. Salt
25 gr yeast (cake rather than grains)
Before using the myrtle berries smash them slightly and soak them in some warm water for a few hours, then use the water to dilute the yeast.
Put all the ingredients in the bowl of a food-processor (or mix hand in a large bowl) When the mixture is coming off the sides add the berries and continue mixing till they’re incorporated. Empty onto a floured surface and knead by hand for a few minutes.
 Leave the dough covered in a warm place till it has doubled in size. (About an hour)
Shape a round loaf and place on an oiled baking pan then cover and leave to rise again in a warm place for half an hour. Bake at 180 degrees for about an hour.
This is the recipe I use inspired by Marina Lambraki.
The bread in the photo is with lentisk.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:19:19 AM by Alisdair »
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Myrtle or lentisk bread
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:23:49 AM »
Thanks, Cali, looks delicious!
I've retitled the subject of your message - anyone else who posts a recipe or food plant message here, do name it in the subject line up at the top.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Something new for a salad
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:27:20 PM »
Click here for Oron's interesting suggestion for adding to a salad.
Alisdair Aird

Cali

Re: Food from unusual plants
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 02:29:16 PM »
I tried to reply over there but didn't see how.  Portulaca oleracea, Oron's suggestion is used a lot in summer salads here in Greece, usually in tomato salads instead of cucumber (it has the same crunchy texture). It should be cut before flowering. Interestingly enough it grows mostly in tomato (and other summer vegetable beds) as a weed (or self-seeder) because it likes the aerated soil, manure, water and attention. It is also eaten pickled (the early shoots or tender tips). I have used individual leaves to add texture to stir-fries.
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.