What is this 69 ID'd as Clematis 'Multi Blue' by Trevor Australis

• 19 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
What is this 69 ID'd as Clematis 'Multi Blue' by Trevor Australis
« on: September 08, 2014, 05:50:46 PM »
Could be easy but there is a twist to it......
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:37:26 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Trevor Australis

Re: What is this 69
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:52:39 PM »
It is a new-ish Clematis hybrid. I decided not to grow it because I don't like the look of it. It doesn't look like a Clematis should to my way of thinking about them.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:36:05 PM »
Sorry Trevor of it offends you!!! :)
You are certainly on the right lines - and, to my mind it has one good redeeming feature that I will reveal late when hopefully somebody puts a name to it  :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 01:41:41 PM »
I have no idea what the Clematis is, Carole, but I notice you have an Acca sellowiana in flower behind it. 8)
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »
Well spotted John, I had not noticed! This 'photo was taken in my new garden and I moved the Acca from Pianule where it had survived rather than flourished. This first summer I was rewarded with lots of flowers- obviously it is happier in its town environment. :)

Trevor Australis

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:56:51 PM »
 :) Hi Umbrian, I'm not at all offended by your mystery plant I just prefer the beautiful, simple shape of ordinary clematis  flowers.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »
Relieved to hear that Trevor! Clematis were a real favourite of mine in England and I grew many varieties and particularly liked the more simple ones. I knew that on coming to live in Italy my choices would be small since on the whole they like a constant supply of moisture. Early flowering varieties such as montana and macropetala do reasonably well if planted where they do not suffer the extremes of the summer months but they tend to be short lived in my experience. My two "stars " are armandii - planted against a wall and climbing over a west facing pergola and a tangutica facing E/SE that is seldom out of flower and has seeded into an adjoining gravelled area that is extremely exposed.
This new Clematis is in my new town garden where it has a more protected existence. It is in a narrow border between a north facing wall and a path - I am hoping that when it gets its roots down they will find sufficient moisture to keep it going. This year it has done well and has had two flowering periods.
I have observed that plants requiring moisture (and also those requiring winter protection) do well when planted near to paths and patios  - if they are well mulched to retain moisture the paving acts as an aid in the summer months  for the former and, in the colder months, also provides protection for more tender subjects. Hope somebody comes up with a name soon and then I can tell you why I quite like it. :)

Hilary

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 05:55:59 AM »
Was this one ever identified?
Any more clues?
I spent hours on the Internet looking for plants with a twist
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Pauline

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »
I can find no evidence of this plant's having been named so am also a tad confused.

While I'm here I'll hazard the odd guess: the blue clue inclines me towards C. macropetala (blue) 'Lagoon', though the photo looks more like 'Octopus' to me. Failing either of those I give up!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:37:40 AM by Pauline »
An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.

Hilary

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:17:02 AM »
Clematis caerulea odorata

MGS member

Trevor Australis

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 12:22:20 AM »
I checked it out in Clematis Cottage on-line catalogue. In Australia it is sold as MULTI-BLUE. What an original name!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 06:55:25 AM »
Well done Trevor....yes it is Clematis Multi blue and what attracted me to it, apart from the lovely deep purple/blue of the petals was the fact that the central boss of sepals(?) - sorry, not very clear about botanical definitions in such cases - remains on the plant for quite a long time after the outer petals have fallen. These are a paler blue/grey/silvery colour as time goes on and, to my mind attractive in their own right extending the period of interest. It did not disappoint this, its first year,and after one early flower produced a second flush of 5/6 blooms.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 07:01:30 AM »
Must investigate your suggestion Hilary as I am always on the look out for scented plants. My Clematis rehderianais flowering well at the moment and I love its cowslip scent.

Pauline

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 09:12:59 AM »
You show us half a flower and suggest it might be easy?! I think it's time I threw in the trowel.

An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.

Hilary

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 10:15:14 AM »
Umbrian,
Although the photos didn't look like your flower i remembered that you wanted your new garden to have perfumed flowers.
Also learned the Latin for blue.
MGS member