Large caterpillar

• 2 Replies

John J

Large caterpillar
« on: August 29, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »
Mike, am I right in thinking this is an Oleander Hawkmoth? Found this evening munching on our Tabernaemontana divaricata bush.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Large caterpillar
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 07:37:17 AM »
Quite a fearsome beast John - I think Oleander Hawkmoth caterpillars are green though - according to my book it appears more like a Convolvulus Hawkmoth.......but I am no expert just an interested observer when I find these unusual visitors in the garden.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

Re: Large caterpillar
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 07:59:31 AM »
The colour concerned me too, Carole, but I believe some caterpillars do change colour just before they pupate. What I was mainly going on was its choice of food plant. Apparently they are partial to members of the Dog-bane family and this character certainly seems to be enjoying our Tabernaemontana  >:(
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)