Ceratonia siliqua

• 20 Replies

david glen

Ceratonia siliqua
« on: August 09, 2011, 06:26:47 PM »
I have a number of carob trees whose pods I allow local farmhands to collect for free, since I am told that leaving them to rot on the ground attracts flies. I am not sure if this is true or only their best selling point.

Apart from the fly problem, would it be wise to use them as mulch?  And would it matter if unshredded?

Alternatively, would it be beneficial to dig them into the soil  as a slow-working fertiliser? Again, does it matter if unshredded?

Any advice regarding alternative beneficial uses of these pods would be appreciated.

( I have trawled the MGS journals but have failed to find anything but general references)
David Glen. MGS member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Ceratonia siliqua
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »
Carob makes an excellent mulch, which will work in best if it's shredded first. We've never seen flies attracted to the pods that fall from our single female tree (the other are all male).
Or you could make them into a chocolate substitute; at the MGS meeting on Cyprus, John Joynes arranged for us to hold events in a former carob mill, which used to be an important producer of what on Cyprus was known as Black Gold, for its importance to the island's economy. I believe carob is still used in the "dog chocolates" that don't use cocoa (which is poisonous to dogs) - dogs love the flavour of the beans.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

david glen

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
Alisdair

Many thanks for this advice. I will follow it.

I wonder if you have though about digging it in as a fertiliser? I need to enrich my soil which is extremely poor and I thought to use the means at hand ?

Regards

David
David Glen. MGS member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 07:52:21 AM »
David, I haven't, but I have read that people have done this in the past. As you know the pods are pretty robust, so even if shredded may take quite a long time to break down. At the very least they'd add humus.
A recent scientific investigation (see here) seems to suggest that there is something in carob pods which does indeed stimulate plant growth and flowering.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

david glen

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »
Many thanks indeed!
David Glen. MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »
I put these photos here but had intended them for  the "Autumn Colour"
section.
I saw the yellow flowers  on a tree near the sea here on the 10th October and the red flowers at Aghios Theodoros on the 23rd October.
Do the flowers change colour from yellow to red or are the trees different?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:34:24 AM »
It does look as if the flowers in your top picture are on a female tree, and bottom tree is female. If the flowers are not yet open a sure way of telling the difference is by a close look at the base of the tiny individual flowers - on the female trees you can see the little ovaries.
I've put a link to your pictures on the autumn colour thread.
Alisdair Aird

Hilary

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
Thanks.
I will look mre closely next time I see a Carob tree
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

JTh

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:17:22 AM »
So is this one showing female flowers?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »
Yes, I think that's right, despite the misleadingly anther-like appearance!
Alisdair Aird

JTh

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 03:37:16 PM »
Thank you Alisdair, then I have learnt something new, again.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Cali

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »
In Mallorca last week, one of the most interesting gardens we visited was that of a local  MGS branch member, an experienced plantswoman with a relatively new garden where she collects, experiments and learns. What does she use for mulch among the more mature plants? Carobs. She uses them whole. When I asked if she'd tried shredding she said that besides being time and energy-consuming in such quantities she didn't think it would make much difference. She didn't mention flies or rats as a problem. It occurred to me that once shredded their sweet agent might bind them into an impermeable mat.
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

John

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »
I think all of the three pictures are of male flowers. The first two haven't developed as much as the one Jorun posted. The reddish form is probably just that a colour form, at least I think so!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 07:17:34 PM »
John is right, I think. I'll have a close look at our trees when we go out in the middle of the month.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:19:25 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Male and female carob flowers
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
I've now taken photos of the flowers on both male and female carob trees on our plot. As you can see, John was right, and the difference between the prominent paired anthers on the male flowers and the even more prominent single style of the female flowers is very clear.
Here they are, male first:
Alisdair Aird