Gummosis and vertical split on clementine - Phytop

• 2 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Gummosis and vertical split on clementine - Phytop
« on: August 17, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
My young Clementine doesn't look too bad superficially, but it has a large wound which is continuously oozing clear brownish sap, which crystallizes almost like the dribbles down the side of a candle.

This occurs in just one place, below where a dead twig was pruned off. Presumably the dead wood that supplied the twig is infected?

I am worried because the symptoms seem to fit Phytophthora
- http://www.idtools.org/id/citrus/diseases/factsheet.php?name=Phytophthora

Note: An adjacent nectarine has a bad case of gummosis - eruptions all over the trunk and main branches, with dieback of the upper shoots. I will make a separate topic about that.

I would appreciate any opinions on:
- identification
- treatment
- significance for adjacent Citrus, Prunus and olive trees

Regards,
Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Gummosis and vertical split on clementine - Phytop
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »
Mike, Do you think it might be simply an abiotic reaction to some physical injury which as well as killing that original twig made the bark below it split? If it was phytophtora or any other disease, surely the leaves (probably the lower ones) would be showing symptoms of infection, and in your last picture the tree looks jolly perky!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Gummosis and vertical split on clementine - Phytop
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 01:58:03 PM »
Alisdair, I'd be delighted if that was it. Trouble is, the wound began oozing on its own. So I'm worried that, if I were to pare-it back to 'better' tissue, it would carry on oozing rather than heal-up... Need something to induce callousing, perhaps...
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England