Plants ID'd by Oron as Cerbera manghas and Linum leucanthum

• 7 Replies

Charithea

Plants ID'd by Oron as Cerbera manghas and Linum leucanthum
« on: August 09, 2014, 05:22:45 PM »
Hi I am sending a photo and would like somebody to Id it please. I have been told that it originated from Indonesia .
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:42:09 AM by Alisdair »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Plant I'd
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 06:03:41 AM »
It is Cerbera manghas [a pure white form]
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Charithea

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 06:57:13 AM »
Good morning Oron and thank you. I have one pic of a wild plant growing on Mount Hymettos . We saw it while walking on Nicos' path in the Spring.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:01:42 AM »
Hello Charithea, Attached is what might be a mature version of your 'indonesian' tree. Reassurance, please from Oron. I took the photo on the west coast of Sri Lanka.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 07:45:40 AM »
Good morning Oron and thank you. I have one pic of a wild plant growing on Mount Hymettos . We saw it while walking on Nicos' path in the Spring.

Charithea, it is Linum leucanthum, a real beauty.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 07:47:04 AM »
Hello Charithea, Attached is what might be a mature version of your 'indonesian' tree. Reassurance, please from Oron. I took the photo on the west coast of Sri Lanka.

Yes Joanna it is certinally the same one.

John J

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 08:08:54 AM »
Charithea didn't mention that we saw this tree in one of the suburbs of Limassol, planted in the sidewalk outside someone's garden wall, as you can see from the photo. The owner was in the garden when we passed but didn't know the tree's name only that the nurseryman he bought it from, who unfortunately died a couple of years ago, brought most of his stock from Indonesia. From Oron's ident I imagine it must take large quantities of water to keep it looking as good as it does, a premise borne out by the fact that the guy did have a hosepipe in his hand and was applying copious amounts of water to his garden at the time.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Charithea

Re: Plants ID'd by Oron as Cerbera manghas and Linum leucanthum
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »
Thank you once again Oron. Hello Joanna. What a wonderful thing this forum is. It doesn't just brighten up the day with the photos but it informs us, makes us think, and takes us on journeys. For example Hilary's photo of the Athens Botanic Garden takes me back to 27/28 years ago when I first walked in it. I accompanied a 5 year old boy and his mum while his father, a Cypriot long distance runner, was resting in preparation for the evenings race in the then European Championships. The photo of the Quisqualis indica, taken a few days ago in Limassol, took me back 20 years when I had first seen it sprawling in the hotel gardens in Jamaica. My Jamaican friend called it Rice and Peas. We walked to the nearest town being Lucy and looked it up in the library book. Now I would have just sent it to the forum.