More water lilies

• 6 Replies

Charithea

More water lilies
« on: August 09, 2014, 05:18:02 PM »
Test message. I have been learning how to post photos. This was the nearest pic.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:40:43 AM by Alisdair »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Test
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:03:31 PM »
When we did a teachers' day at Sparoza I happened to have masses of off-shoots of a nano water lily to give as presents. I demonstrated how they could be planted in any sort of vessel, but the one I kept in a big flower pot has failed to flower so I'm jealous to see yours flowering away. In the pond proper it's fine.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 05:00:12 AM »
Fleur, we have 2 of these tanks. They are 80cms in diameter by 50/60cms deep. We got them from Andreas Protopapas, a well-known waterlily breeder here in Cyprus (he's won competitions in the US and provided plants for the RHS garden at Wisley in the past). He orders them from a company in Italy.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Charithea

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:04:23 AM »
Hi Fleur, I have learnt how to minimize pics last night at Markos' birthday party. Now I shall bore you all with my photos. I am sending the photos of the Nymphaea Escarboucle. It flowers non stop. It loves the hot sun.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:07:31 AM by Charithea »

Charithea

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 07:08:50 AM »
Sorry this is the other pic.

Daisy

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »
Your water lilies are looking really good Charithea.
I love Escarboucle. I used to grow it in England. It was free flowering there too.
Is that Nymphaea pygmaea Helvolva in the first photo?
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Charithea

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »
Hello Daisy, thank you. They are so reliable. The Escarboucle always come first and then the rest follow until Autumn.  The yellow Nymphaea is Moorei or mooreana. It was just opening that is why it looks small and also because I am a bad photographer and I took it from the wrong angle. Charithea