Pyrostegia venusta

• 5 Replies

Caroline

Pyrostegia venusta
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:39:25 AM »
Pyrostegia venusta flowering its heart out on a windy but warm corner. This photo taken on 1 May, and it is still going strong nearly three months later. I planted it two years ago; it did very little last year but has now taken off, I suspect when it got its roots down into the clay. It does get some extra water, as it is in the bed where I grow capsicums in the summer.  I have a trickle hose in the bed which can be gravity-fed from a water tank.  :)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Trevor Australis

Re: Pyrostegia venusta
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 05:53:17 AM »
 ;D Now it has started to move STAND WELL BACK and keep out of the way. ;)
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:00:26 AM »
I was baffled by it blooming for you in July until I saw that you're in Auckland: serves me right for being northern-hemisphere-centric! Here in southern Spain, it flowers over Christmas, from early December until nearly March.

It can get big, and once it gets going, you can almost watch it grow; in flower, it is truly spectacular. I enjoy 'ours' second-hand: it's actually our neighbour's plant, which comes cascading 3 metres over our east-facing wall and covers it in a great curtain of fiery-orange flowers. I've tried to attach a photo, but I am new at this, so don't know if it works.

I have absolutely no idea what they do to it... It's a small hotel and the Pyrostegia is in a narrow bed next to their breakfast terrace; I guess they water it occasionally but it probably never gets fed. In early May, it was cut back completely, and now, 3 months later it is again covering nearly half the wall, and advancing rapidly!
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Caroline

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:59:36 AM »
Lovely photo, thanks Pallas - just the slightly lurid effect I am aiming for! :)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Trevor Australis

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:50:31 PM »
 ;D If it's LURID you want try companion planting with the common purple bougainvillea 8)
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 06:26:14 PM »
Hello Trevor

You mean like so?  :)
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.