David and Goliath

• 2 Replies

JTh

• Email
David and Goliath
« on: July 21, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
A strange sight today: a large female green bush cricket (Tettagonia sp.) was dragged around our house several times at a terrifying speed by a much smaller, but still large insect, 2,5-3 cm long, it went on for a couple of hours, until I accedentally stepped on the cricket in front of our outdoor kitchen bench. The smaller insect looks like a paper wasp, but I am not 100 percent sure, so I would be happy to get it properly identified. It seemed to be looking for a place to hide the cricket, which was still half alive, without being able to find anything suitable.
The photos are not that good, the creature was moving too fast, but maybe somebody  (Oron?) could help me?

_7212074_David and Goliath.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

_7212091_.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: David and Goliath
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »
Hi Jorun,
Have you considered Sand Wasps? The insect in your 'photo looks amazingly like an illustration in my Collins  guide to Insects - Ammophila sabulosa - distinguished by entirely black legs......I am no expert but since coming to live in Italy have been fascinated by the range of insect life to be  found in the garden and am always trying to identify things. When my grandson was about 7 or 8 he spent 2 months with us and when he got bored I would send him off, with small yogurt pots, to find as many different ones he could, then we would try to name them all.....I often get waylaid from the task in hand when coming across something unusual but consider the knowledge gained an interesting "by product" of being a gardener. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
Re: David and Goliath
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:21:25 AM »
Absolutely a possibility, the legs were strikingly long and black, but the waist was not as long and slender as the sand wasp's. It looks lmore ike a black spider wasp (Anoplius viaticus, a solitary wasp), except I'm sure it was bigger than the described size of this spider wasp (12-14 mm), but colours were about right.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.