Dregea

• 5 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Dregea
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »
I made a posting about this climber, new to me, a short while,ago asking if anyone had experience of it but so far no replies. This time I am putting it in "Climbers" where it should have gone in the first place probably and am going to attempt a photo - still having problems with reducing 'photos on my iPad and so it will be good practice to see if I am getting there. The Dregea in question is growing well and producing new flowers at regular intervals - sweetly scented and very pretty.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Dregea
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 09:21:25 AM »
Wow, a 'photo! - now I just have to try to remember how I did it ... ???
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »
Lovely photo.
Shame you couldn't send some of the scent also.
I have never seen this plant.
However, it seems to me that I have never seen great number of plants.
A reason why i like this Forum so much. I get to see the result of  other people's work
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 09:17:52 AM »
Hi Carole I would love to have aDregea but will it survive the 40 plus heat of Cyprus Summer? My Ipomeas need to be revived by the end of the evening with a cup of water. The Antigonon leptopus [ only one survivor, is planted at the base of an olive tree and one of the i]Gardenias thunbergia had to be moved under the loquat tree because it struggled to keep its leaves on. Both Gardenias are full of buds but will they open up?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:22:34 AM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »
Difficult to say Charithea since I only planted mine this spring and so far we are not having a typical summer - lower temperatures and frequent storms. All I can say at the moment is that it has not been pampered in any way since it is in the new garden that only gets attention when I have time to visit it. Strangely the soil there is very good- friable and easy to work but much more free draining and therefore prone to dry out very quickly. Most of my plantings have made tremendous growth and I feared they would suffer when the real heat set in but so far that does not seem to be the case and we have had some some hot spells recently. Will keep you posted - it is a charming plant :)

Charithea

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
Thank you Carole for the information. I will look for one or should I say I will get Yianns to find me one. Still hot here but thunder was rolling around the Troodos Range. It is approx. 26 miles away from here as the crow flies but we are the last to get wet. Hopefully some of the water will find its way to the dam as it is so low. It is normally used by the Limassol Canoe Club to train youngsters and the canoes just about float on the water.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.