Salvia farinacea Victoria

• 2 Replies

Daisy

Salvia farinacea Victoria
« on: September 14, 2014, 07:17:08 AM »
I grew a few of these from seed this year. I had to put them in a pot as I had no space in the garden. They have bloomed all summer there, but now, I need the pot for some spring flowering bulbs. I have made some space in the garden now and would like to split them and plant out. Are they worth it?
I have only ever grown them as an annual. Do they work well as a perennial, or do they not perform well in subsequent years?
Thanks, Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Salvia farinacea Victoria
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:09:37 AM »
Hi Daisy. I have had a Salvia farinacea in the same pot for over 4 years and it gives a lot of flowers from late spring to autumn. Admittedly a little less energetic this year. Maybe because of our wetter, cooler summer or maybe it is getting old. I don't know which variety it is.

I too grew "Victoria" from seed this year expecting the flower stems to be much more purple than they actually are but I was a little disappointed as they are only marginally more purple than the one I mentioned above. I have just bought some seeds of "Evolution" which, hopefully, should be better. I ordered them from Jungle Seeds UK.

On the subject of being disappointed with salvia flowers I grew Salvia roemeriana"Hot Trumpets" from seed this year and the flowers never really opened but self pollinated while closed. I have some seed but I don't know if I will bother to grow any more. Let's see if the plants I have from this year produce better flowers next year.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Daisy

Re: Salvia farinacea Victoria
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:06:05 AM »
Thanks David. I will plant them out in the garden soon. They flower for such a long time, it is definitely worth trying.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS