Centaurium erythraceae ?

• 5 Replies

Joanna Savage

Centaurium erythraceae ?
« on: July 04, 2014, 01:27:57 PM »
I think this is Centuarium erythraceae growing through a ground cover of Satureja montana. I first saw it here about ten years ago, then it disappeared. Presumably its habitat had been destroyed. This year two plants have reappeared in rather tough places.
The interesting snippet is that Centaurium belongs to family Gentianaceae, while the much better known Centaurea belongs to the very different family Asteraceae. How could the names be so close? The 'cent' suggests 100 and the 'aurea' gold. Any corrections and ideas welcome.
Closer photo of flower to follow.

Joanna Savage

Re: Centaurium erythraceae ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 01:29:09 PM »
Centaurium erythraceae flower, it is tiny

John J

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
Joanna, they are both derived from the same source, the Centaurs of Greek mythology. Centaurium is alleged to be good for healing wounds. Chiron the Centaur is said to have used it on a wound in his foot that was caused by one of Heracles arrows.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 07:58:07 PM »
We have another Centaurium growing in profusion around our house, the tiny C. pulchellum, most of them around ten cm tall, but with many small, starshaped, pink flowers. They are really beautiful.

_7041889_ Centaurium pulchellum.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr

_7041892_ Centaurium pulchellum.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 05:04:49 AM »
Well, John J you have cleared up something I have wondered about for years. I should have guessed the association but didn't think laterally. Of course once I know the origin comes from 'centaur', it seems so obvious.

Excellent photos Jorun. Are they taken in Greece or Norway?

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 06:31:11 AM »
They are from our place in northern Greece, the area around the house is mainly wild flower meadow in spring, then mown, and bone dry the rest of the summer, so I think it is surprising that there are so many of them here now. It supposedly likes damp or marshy ground, it is definitely not like that here.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.