Spathodea campanulata

• 4 Replies

John J

Spathodea campanulata
« on: July 04, 2014, 08:06:03 AM »
While driving through an area of Limassol yesterday we passed by a nursery that I thought had closed down some time ago. However, seeing that the gates were open we decided to take a look. This particular nursery had specialized in the more exotic trees and shrubs until, unfortunately the owner became seriously ill and passed away. The young lady we found there turned out to be his daughter who was trying to keep the remaining plants alive and to find homes for them. It seems that he used to source the majority of his plants from Indonesia and the last container to arrive from there had been in 2006. Despite the young lady's heroic efforts most of the plants were in a rather sorry state and she was desperate to find anyone to take them off her hands. Eventually we agreed to take charge of the African Tulip Tree shown in the photo that she wanted just 5 euros for. Although we have quite a large property (around 2,600 square metres) most of it already has mature, or maturing, trees in all available spaces. I have no idea what I'm going to do with something that has the potential to grow as large as this can but we felt sorry for the poor girl, and for the tree.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:00:02 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: Spathodea campanulata
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 07:31:03 AM »
Possible solution to the Spathodea rehousing problem. We have an old apricot tree that has not been earning its keep for a few years, so if I take that down it could go there. It would be able to benefit from irrigation provided for nearby fruit trees and, in the event that it should survive and prosper, the next tree down is a bitter orange that could be sacrificed to accommodate it as it spread. The bitter orange is one of 3 that we have and as we don't make marmalade and my wife's mother is no longer around to make glyko from the flowers we only keep them for their scent in the spring. Isn't it satisfying when a plan comes together?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »
That sounds a good plan. Wonderful for you if it survives and then rewards you with its eye-catching flowering! (Did you notice the one in Walter Gunz's courtyard garden in Marrakech when we - that's to say you and Thea, as well as the rest of us - were there on the MGS Morocco trip this spring? It was too early in the year for its flowers, I think, but in the picture there do seem to be one or two splashes of red; it's the tree in the middle, just below that tall palm.)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 12:03:25 PM »
I don't recall seeing that particular tree but there are a few to be found in Cyprus that are amazing when in flower. The Delonix regia is more readily available and they are living up to their name of Flame Tree at the moment.

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:37:15 AM »
John, we  had a Spathodea growing in the garden for about 20 years and though it never reached majestic proprotion it bloomed abundantly and was quite a sight! In the last years it also started to set seeds. Then eventually it succumbed to Armillaria (I will need to open a discussion on this awful subject), but not only we had been growing new plants from cutting, we also found some seedling growing not far from the mother plant. Therefore we were able to start again, and I can already say that seed-grown plants lood sturdier.
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10