Ident confirmation please.ID'd by Fermi & Trevor as Correa alba

• 9 Replies

John J

Ident confirmation please.ID'd by Fermi & Trevor as Correa alba
« on: December 30, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
This shrub was on sale in a Limassol garden centre with a label that just said 'Acca' . The lady in charge insisted this was correct as her boss had told her it was. I am fairly certain that I know what it is but would like confirmation, please. I won't say what I think so as not to influence any replies. I have tried to show the underside of the leaves, which have a very distinctive smell when crushed.
I apologise for the poor quality of the photos but it was a dull day and I had to take them rather hurriedly.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 07:34:32 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Ident confirmation please.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »
john if it is an Acca then it should have Five petals.  Your flowers have 4. !!!  not much help. 
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »
Hi David, I believe there are only 3 accepted species of Acca with Acca sellowianabeing the one most commonly grown. The other 2 would appear to have a very limited distribution and not be readily available, I'd certainly be surprised to stumble on them on this small island in the far East of the Med. The flowers are, as you point out, nothing like those of the Acca sellowianaso I'd take a lot of convincing that they were related.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 01:37:58 PM »
Perhaps Correa alba?
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »
Hi Fermi, I was pretty sure it was a Correa but wasn't certain about the species, although alba would have been my best guess. Good to know that someone else  has the same idea, thanks.

sylvia

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 06:01:42 PM »
This looks like my Correa "Ivory Bells" in bloom now in my Northern California garden.

Sylvia Sykora

sylvia

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »
I don't think it is C. alba.  The flowers of that species - at least, in my garden - are small and open, somewhat star-shaped.  The picture shows a more typical Correa flower that's tubular or bell-shaped.  I still vote for "Ivory Bells," species unknown (to me).

Sylvia Sykora

John J

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 08:13:11 PM »
Sylvia, Correa 'Ivory Bells' is certainly a possibility. I believe it is a cross between C. alba and C. backhousiana (which I had also considered it might be).

Trevor Australis

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »
My vote is for Correa alba. The flowers can be quite variable but the leaves are always round and greyish rather than elongated and green-grey. I'm not familiar with the clonal selections.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

John J

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
Thanks for that, Trevor, the more I look at it the more I lean towards my plant being a Correa alba.