Is this locust eating the leaves on my roses?

• 4 Replies

JTh

• Email
Is this locust eating the leaves on my roses?
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:29:42 PM »
I still haven't solved the problem of who is eating the leaves on my rose bushes, but a few days ago I found this giant locust, which seems to be a female Anacridium aegyptium (Egyptian tree locust, at least 7 cm long) sitting on a partly digested rose leaf. I wonder if this is the culprit? If so, is there any dererrent, would a spray with neem oil make the rose leaves less tempting?

_6291714_Anacridium aegyptium.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Is this locust eating the leaves on my roses?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 06:58:01 AM »
Do you have a pic of the leaf damage...it may vine weevil , chafer etc ...?
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:47:34 AM »
You are right, David. When I looked more closely, I did find leaves indicating that the damage is caused by larvae of chafers, and between two leaves stuck together with a fine web, I detected this larvae (top photo). It was about 7-8 mm long, pale, small head, very short legs. It didn’t like to be disturbed and was moving very rapidly, so it was difficult to get a proper photo of it. The next shows the leave where I found it, and the last one of a leaf in an advanced stage.  At the end only the nerves are left.

I don’t see the adult chafers on the roses now, but there are plenty of large, green metallic looking chafers having a feast in our pear tree.

_7031845_Offending larva.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr

_7031859_Early leaf damage.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr

_7031860_Advanced leaf damage.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
I’m afraid I was too quick in blaming the chafers alone, at some closer inspection I discovered lots of larger larvae with orange heads and black markings, around 1.5 cm long. As far as I can see, they must be larvae of the sawfly, Arge ochropus. They probably cause more damage than anything else, greedy creatures!

_7031864_Arge ochropus .jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr

_7031868_Arge ochropus .jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Photos of sawfly larvae, Arge ochropus
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 07:40:18 AM »
Amazing photos, Jorun!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society