Allamanda cathartica

• 9 Replies

JTh

• Email
Allamanda cathartica
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:05:43 PM »
It's maybe not correct to call it a climber, since this vine needs support, but it looks like one; it is easy to see that is in the same family as Mandevilla. I found it in the Friday market in Nikiti, Halkidiki, the seller had a Greek name for it that I can't remember, and he told me it didn't need much water. I could of course not resist this one, I'm not normally that fond of yellow flowers, but the large, yellow trumpets were stunning. Of course, when I looked it up, I found that that this plants, which come from Brazil, is probably not ideal in this climate, but my question is, has anybody any experience with Allamanda cathartica in the mediterranean climate, and is there any chance it can survive the winter here?

_7021837-Edit_Allamanda cathartica.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr

-Edit__7021837-Edit_Allamanda cathartica.jpg.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:10:31 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Allamanda cathartica
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 12:45:03 AM »
It is sold a lot in Rome but I have never seen a large specimen which suggests it doesn't survive our winters, at least outdoors. I seem to remember that I was told it needs lots of water. Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news :'(
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 06:56:30 AM »
This a plant typical of the tropics.  It might wel survive in the mildest Mediterranean climate.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:47:55 AM »
Some years ago we planted an Allamanda cathartica against a wall in a sheltered corner of our coastal southern Greece garden, which normally has very mild winters; but it didn't survive the first winter, which I don't think was the one that included the very unusual sharp frost that even burst some people's rooftop solar heating plumbing locally.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:54:12 AM »
Thank you for the replies. I am not terribly surprised, I soon realised that it needs regular watering, and that is very frost tender, so I guess I'll just enjoy it this year, and avoid being tempted to buy another one next year. The man who sold it,  said it was just like a potato, the top growth will freeze, but it will sprout again next spring; somehow I doubt it.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Daisy

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 09:19:44 AM »
There used to be a large Allamanda inside the large glasshouse at Wisley.
I remember seeing it in full flower many years ago. It would have been late winter or early spring when I saw it. I don't know when exactly, but I remember being glad to get into the warm.
It wasn't in the cooler, drier, main part of the glasshouse but in the warmer, more humid, tropical part.
I remember, it was being misted whilst I was there. It certainly seemed to enjoy that. It was a magnificent specimen.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

SusanIbiza

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 11:55:07 AM »
We had one of these on our side fence when we lived in Brisbane which enjoys a subtropical climate.  It was well established and flowered constantly throughout most of the year.  We never watered it as there was enough rain to keep it happy.  We do get the occasional frost in Brisbane but not to the detriment of our Allamanda.  It would drop any dead leaves, we would give it a bit of a haircut and it would regenerate beautifully once the warmer weather came in.  I think it might need summer watering in the Med especially here in Ibiza where it hardly ever rains.  I don't think it would tolerate the winter gales very well either so give it lots of protection.  :)
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 08:04:22 PM »
I have planted it in a very large pot and shall try to cover it well and leave it it a sheltered corner during the winter. If it survives, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

SusanIbiza

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 08:45:08 AM »
Make sure it gets plenty of sunshine. 8)
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »
Thank you, I shall