Judas Tree with leaf spots: what is it?

• 2 Replies

hereistay

• Email
Judas Tree with leaf spots: what is it?
« on: June 27, 2014, 03:01:31 PM »
I have two Judas Tree/Redbud/Cercis Siliquatrum.
They are 3-4 years old and this year I put them inside a phyto-bag, bigger then the previous pots, with new substrate and I gave a couple of spoon of 12-12-17 fertilizer.
One of them has some spots on older leaves and they are yellowing.
I read that this plant can be affected by verticillium and anthracnose but it is a rustic plant.
It was closed to probably Septoria affected Terebinths, treated with Propiconazole and now out of risk (probably it was not septoria).
Anyway, according to me it seems to be a bacterial disease.
Or is it a problem of drought or sunburn?
To be certain, have I to give a fungicide?
I read that these kind of diseases have to be treated with cupric fungicides.
Is it ok?
I know that cupric is dangerous on leaves during summer...
Here some pics!

Aerospace engeneering student with a passion for plants!
I have some hectar of field with grapes and olives (my father cultivates!).
Here we have a lot of vineyards, Tollo and the near city is famous for its wines, "Cantina Tollo" is the brand of my city's wines!

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Judas Tree with leaf spots: what is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
The regular interveinal chorosis and necrotic spots look more like a mineral deficiency. i do not think its magnesium.  The soil may lacking something or could be tying up iron, manganese etc etc.  Try giving small amounts of microelements.

Are you getting annual growth?

I grow C canadensis ' Forest Pansy' which is a real beauty however every year it suffers from an attack of either aphids or leafhopper...I think the latter.  They survive in spite of a blitz with insecticides.  Does anyone else know this problem.?
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

hereistay

• Email
Re: Judas Tree with leaf spots: what is it?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 09:18:36 AM »
Thank you David!
I'll give a microelements fertilizer!
I can't help you, sorry! :(
Aerospace engeneering student with a passion for plants!
I have some hectar of field with grapes and olives (my father cultivates!).
Here we have a lot of vineyards, Tollo and the near city is famous for its wines, "Cantina Tollo" is the brand of my city's wines!