Royal Horticultural Society development plan

• 3 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Royal Horticultural Society development plan
« on: June 25, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »
The Royal Horticultural Society has just announced an ambitious ten-year development plan, which they will spend £100 million on. If you want to see the details, I have stashed a copy of their press release here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1pl1yuckno0ht82/AADuS_AOx-ZGrK4S0wRfFB2za
The document is called RHS PRESS RELEASE.
If you read to its end, you'll see that it took the RHS just under 100 years to open their first garden. We've been quicker off the mark with Sparoza, but I fear we may have to wait quite a few centuries before we have that sort of money to spend on development!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Royal Horticultural Society development plan
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 07:09:33 PM »
Alisdair the MGS might start with a 5 year and then 10 year plan , not only for Sparoza but also for the MGS as well. I,ve mentioned this several times.  I, m sure that if the RHS think it a good idea we should as well.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 05:10:01 AM »
That's good news indeed that the RHS has managed its affairs to be in such a solid financial position. A stark contrast to what  we are reading on the internet about massive funding cuts at Kew Gardens. And Trevor australis' comments about an Australian bot garden in the thread about subtropical olives in this forum were depressing too.
It seems as though the future and advance of horticulture, practice and science, are being passed to enthusiastic amateur groups.

John J

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 07:55:46 AM »
David, I can't speak for the rest of the AC but I would be interested in hearing your ideas for how a 5 and/or 10 year plan could be structured. I can always be reached via my mgs gmail address.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)