Pellana, Peloponnese, Greece

• 3 Replies

Hilary

Pellana, Peloponnese, Greece
« on: November 04, 2017, 07:44:49 AM »
In June this year on our way back from Sparta to Corinth we decided to take the ‘new’ road from Sparta to Tripolis, 22 kilometers longer and two tolls, to visit Pellana which we had been to once before in 2002
As Lakonia was still in spring mode, while further north in the Peloponnese everything was dried up and ready for summer, I had visions of taking a photo of the bare Mycenaean tombs with a carpet of pretty wild flowers in front.
The village of Pellana was a carnival of flowers with tall hollyhocks growing on a traffic island, no photo, and the yards and balconies of the houses overflowing with flowers, no photo.
 When we arrived at the well signposted tombs,
CEMETERY OF MYCENAEAN TOMBS we found a well locked gate with a shiny new chain and padlock. I suppose that any groups or archaeologists wanting to visit the tombs would previously contact the Archaeological Museum in Sparta to find out who has the key and arrange to have the site opened for them.
However, all was not lost there were plenty of wild flowers to snap. First of all Clematis vitalba, please correct me if I am wrong, entwined round the wire fence keeping the tomb safe from curious eyes. Then a thistle with happy guests, does anyone know their names?
After deciding to walk in the olive grove adjoining the archaeological site we came to a place where we could see a the top of a shelter, took a snap of that then after consulting the photos taken in 2002 on a very basic camera we decided we had been  at the back of the tombs.
The following photos were taken in 2002
The entrance to one of the tombs showing the shelter and my husband and I standing in the diadromos 

I have posted this under “The Places to Visit” headline but that is a bit misleading since the site was locked
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

Re: Pellana, Peloponnese, Greece
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 08:27:22 AM »
Even if you can't get into the site at Pellana  you can take a walk in the olive groves.
There are wild flowers in many colours, pink, white, yellow and blue
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 08:31:26 AM »
Lovely 'photos Hilary especially of the thistle hosting so many different insects.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 10:26:31 AM »
I felt I was having a walk through those olives myself, Hilary (as well as peeking through the chain link fencing)!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society