Effective micro-organisms

• 4 Replies

John J

Effective micro-organisms
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »
A couple of people here in Cyprus have asked me recently about the above subject. They have come across it at different fairs and exhibitions being touted as a sort of miracle answer to all a gardener's prayers regarding plant growth (including increased crop yield) and pest control. The particular product offered would seem to be EM1. Apparently this was formulated by a Japanese professor in the 1990s, Dr Teruo Higa, and contains a combination of Lactic acid bacteria; Yeasts; Actinomycetes; Photosynthetic bacteria and Fungi. The object of the exercise is to introduce beneficial micro-organisms to the soil and plants.
Never having tried this product myself and before I consider doing so I would like to know whether any of our forum members have had contact with, or experience of, it. David, is this something you may have come across in your career in crop protection? Basically, does this stuff live up to the claims made for it and, if so, should it be made more widely known to our members?

Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Effective micro-organisms
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:26:28 PM »
John do you have a name for this product?  I can take it from there.  No i have never heard of it but would suggest that anything that sounds too good to be true is probably very suspect.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:46:26 AM »
David, The product range seems to be based on the name of EM-1 and the sole US distributor a company called TeraGanix. If you google Effective micro-organisms or Dr Teruo Higa you'll find more info, including the actual bacteria, yeasts, etc that are used in the 'recipe' as it were.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:10:42 AM »
I have tried to find some comparative data without luck.  There are many similar products on the markets making grand claims.....however usually without supporting data.  If you find the product works for you then carry on using it.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »
As I said I haven't tried this product personally as like you, David, I tend to be skeptical about anything that claims to be a 'miracle' cure. I would have thought that there was unlikely to be a 'one-size-fits-all' answer for all locations and that anything added to the soil would have to be tailored to the specific needs of the soil in question.