Salvia seeds

• 2 Replies

pamela

Salvia seeds
« on: July 09, 2013, 11:37:11 AM »
Hello everyone from a very hot CB

Does anyone know where I might obtain some seeds of Salvia sagitatta?

Also is it possible for seeds to be posted to the UK from the US (or in fact other places outside EU)?  Do they have to go through any sort of agricultural screening?

Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Salvia sagittata seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »
Pamela, I don't know of any European seed sources of this plant. I guess from your second question that you have found this American source?
The short answer to your second question is that you can have small quantities of most flower seed shipped into Europe/UK from outside with no special formalities. (A few alliums, annual sunflowers and all Prunus species coming from outside the EU need a phytosanitary certificate, as do all crucifers and grasses coming from Australia, NZ and several South American countries.)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

pamela

Re: Salvia seeds
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:38:12 PM »
Alisdair..That information about Phyto sanitary regulations is EXTREMELY helpful...  Yet, when one arrives off aircraft from third countries there is the big bold notice about importing plants and SEEDS...  but I do know friends here in Spain who bring seeds (via UK) in their suitcase from all sorts of amazing places (mostly parts of Africa) and just hope for the best!  
You are right the only time I have seen seed for sale of this beautiful Salvia is on an American site.  
I first saw this plant growing wild on the dormant volcano Pululahua in Ecuador. It was a glorious bright blue, a beacon in the Cloud Forest.    I tried to find seeds but it wasn't to be.  
You have been really helpful ......
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:44:12 PM by pamela »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar