Slug/snail deterrents

• 2 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Slug/snail deterrents
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:55:26 AM »
After our very wet and comparatively winter, slugs and snails abound. My husband, who dabbles is a bit of vegetable gardening, has just planted out some young plants - lettuce, tomatoes, courgettes etc and asked me if I had any slug pellets. Then he came up with the interesting question - " do they actually attract the slugs and snails (thereby drawing them closer to the newly planted titbits!) or, if merely encountered during their scavenging, become an irresistible treat? David, I am sure you will be able to answer this one :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Trevor Australis

Re: Slug/snail deterrents
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:02:34 AM »
I have used Baysol blue pellets for many years and have found them very effective. I believe the pellets contain a substance that actually attracts snail, slugs and millipedes, maybe slaters too. I AM ALWAYS VERY CAREFUL TO PLACE IT WHERE DOGS CANNOT GET AT IT.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Slug/snail deterrents
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 06:09:08 AM »
Thanks Trevor - the pellets we use are blue too and since the vegetable area is fenced to keep out deer and porcupine we do not have to worry about the dog as she is not allowed inside either. However, last year Colin spilled quite a pile when using them and the ants that abound everywhere here soon cleared up the surplus - we watched a "chain gang" of them scurrying to and from the pile and depositing them down a hole where they obviously had a large nest. No ill effects there it would seem!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.