Plant confirmed as Chamelaucium uncinatum

• 3 Replies

Alice

Plant confirmed as Chamelaucium uncinatum
« on: May 10, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »
This plant, labelled "Tereza" at a plant show, I tentatively identified as Chamelaucium uncinatum, a native of  Western Australia. It is supposed to be long-flowering but I am not sure whether this occurs in the warm or the cool months.
Confirmation of ID and some growing information would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:07:50 AM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant ID: Chamelaucium uncinatum?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 07:31:45 PM »
This has just about finished flowering here in Rome. Here it is usually labelled as "Wax Flower" which is a name also used for Hoya carnosa

I bought a new one this year after my old one died over the winter. I suspect it got too wet as it was in a trough where it was exposed to winter rain. It needed some water over the summer as it wasn't in the ground but it was difficult to tell when it needed water as the first sign was the dropping of the fine leaves which had started to dry out rather than signs of wilting. This year I intend to give moderate water and to keep it in a pot so that I can move it out of the rain in winter. Let's hope I can keep it this time.

For me it is a substitute for the heather that I was so used to on the Yorkshire moors where I spent so much of my youth walking.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Plant ID: Chamelaucium uncinatum?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:06:45 AM »
Yes, it is Chamelaucium uncinatum. We saw it in full flower at the end of October during the MGS AGM in South Australia, in 2012. I took the photo at the wonderful Stokes Bay Bush Garden on Kangaroo Island. It flowers from August/September right through to January/February, so the equivalent in the northern hemisphere would be Feb/March to July/Aug, though I guess that later date would be rather optimistic for you, Alice! I've not tried to grow it myself, but it does come from dry sandy plains which have long droughty very hot summers, and is said to be very tough for dry conditions.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

Re: Plant confirmed as Chamelaucium uncinatum
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 07:59:29 PM »
Many thanks, Alisdair and David, for confirmation of ID and other information.
It does remind me a bit of heather, as well, David.
I think you are right, Alisdair, it would be very optimistic to expect it to keep flowering into August in the parched Cyclades! It will be interesting to see how it copes.
The name Tereza still remains a mystery...
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.