Epiphyllum hybrid

• 25 Replies

John J

Re: Epiphyllum hybrid
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 07:12:57 AM »
Trevor, did that used to be a Selenicereus? We have a Fishbone plant that I believe is a type of Selenicereus although I'm not sure which. It used to flower but over the last few years seems to have gone into a sulk and refuses to do so. I've recently moved it to see if a change of scenery might cheer it up a bit!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Trevor Australis

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 12:18:00 AM »
I'm not certain about the name tho' I do understand that Marniera has been challenged as a 'new' genus. Obviously the Marnier-Lapostole family (Les Cedres Bot. Gdn.) are happy to be thus commemorated for their serious support of botanical exploration, plant introduction and science. I will try to double check on the current view of what the plant is.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

John J

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 06:11:07 AM »
The first of our Epiphyllum hybrids to flower this year. This one is E. 'Desert Moon'.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 06:40:50 AM »
Our Epiphyllum 'JT Barber' has decided to join the show. I have tried to find out who JT Barber was and why he warranted having this hybrid named after him but with little success. It seems he lived in Chelford in the county of Cheshire in the UK and after the Second World War he catalogued many of the hybrids being produced in the USA at that time. Apparently these were difficult to obtain due to the British government restrictions on shipping dollars out of the country.

John J

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 07:35:27 PM »
Our Epiphyllum oxypetallum has decided to go in for a late display this year, perhaps due to the fact that the daytime temp is still pushing 30C even now in Oct. These photos taken at around 9.30 this evening.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 09:22:45 AM »
Wow!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 07:34:37 AM »
Opened the blinds this morning to be greeted by a rather late flower on our Epiphyllum 'Desert Moon'. Its size can be seen in comparison to my hand. Not the greatest photo but holding the camera one-handed is not the most stable platform.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »
John, sensational! (I've taken a copy for myself, in the hope that you'll let me use it on the MGS Facebook page sometime....)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »
If you think it's good enough, Alisdair, then be my guest.

John J

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 06:59:10 AM »
I don't know the name of this hybrid as the person we got it from had only written 'yellow' on the leaf. This is the first time it has flowered.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 09:23:25 AM »
Beautiful flower John. Pity the name wasn't given. I know that plant labelling is a sore point with you too.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.