Lightweight cameras

• 1 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Lightweight cameras
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:11:12 PM »
Commenting on an amazing photo she'd taken of a Hairy beetle (click on that to see it), Jorun said: I got a new, very small camera (a mft, mirrorless), Alisdair, which I planned to use for 'street photography', where the big Nikon seems to scare people, but I find that it is amazing for plant photography as well, even handheld it behaves quite well. It is also so small that I can take it with me wherever I go. I have no macro lens, yet, but I can use the old lenses I got in the seventies, tis was taken with the kit zoom lens.
Can you tell us which you've got, Jorun? And did you use it for the hairy beetle? (Did you consider another Nikon, ie their series 1?)
We can split this off to a new topic I guess....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:40:20 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Lightweight cameras
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:37:20 PM »
An Olympus E-M10 with a kit lens, 14-42 mm 1:3.5-5.6 EZ, I used that one for the hairy beetle, it was handheld and very windy, I am surprised how well it performs. I chose Olympus because of the size, the price and the quality, and I also have som good lenses I used with an Olympus OM2 about 40 years ago (50 mm f/1.4, 35 mm f/2.8 and 135 mm f/2.8 ), you have to focus manually, and either choose aperture or speed, but you get a lot of information from the camera, like histogram, focus peaking etc. And it weighs 396 g (with card and battery).
It's OK to split this, if you wish.

I have attached a photo taken with the old 50 mm lens (NB it's not a macro lens) in Norway earlier this month

P4040227 Erythronium dens-canis 'Lilac Wonder'.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:42:02 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.