Hairy beetle ID'd by Oron as Eulasia pareyssei

• 5 Replies

JTh

• Email
Hairy beetle ID'd by Oron as Eulasia pareyssei
« on: April 26, 2014, 09:11:41 PM »
Has anybody seen a beetle like this one? It was quite large (1.5-2 cm long), with a punky hairdo, it was sitting on a Glebionis coronaria (previously called Chrysanthemum coronarius). Hard to see any head details because of all the 'facial growth', but the antennas were quite short and abruptly clubbed at the end (capitate).

P4250611-Edit-2 Hairy beetle.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:46:01 AM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Hairy beetle
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:15:50 AM »
Jorun

It is Eulasia pareyssei
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Hairy beetle ID'd by Oron as Eulasia pareyssei
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »
Wonderful picture, Jorun! Question: What have these people got in common?

Alexander von Humboldt
Athanasius Kircher
George-Louis Leclerc (Comte de Buffon)
Oron Peri

Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 11:05:27 AM »
Could it be that they are all polymaths? Or as my wife says 'smart alecs', sorry Oron!!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
I was going to say something similar, but maybe with different words: People who know a lot about just about everything. Thank you, Oron, great to know. There is very little information about these rather conspicuous beetles, except about the taxonomy, but I assume it is harmless, anyhow.

I got a new, very small camera (a mft, mirrorless), Alisdair, which I planned to use for 'street photography', where the big Nikon seems to scare people, but I find that it is amazing for plant photography as well, even handheld it behaves quite well. It is also so small that I can take it with me wherever I go. I have no macro lens, yet, but I can use the old lenses I got in the seventies, tis was taken with the kit zoom lens.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 07:37:43 AM »
I have moved Jorun's interesting comments on her new camera to a new topic on Lightweight cameras in the Miscellaneous section.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society