Botanical names

• 15 Replies

Alice

Botanical names
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:47:58 PM »
This list of botanical epithets (the species name) might be of interest.

acaulis = without a stem
aculeatus = prickly
alatus = winged
altissimus = tallest
amarus = bitter
angustifolius = narrow-leaved
apianus = pertaining to bees
argenteus = silvery
arvensis = of fields/meadows
atropurpureus = dark purple
aurantiacus = orange-coloured
australis = southern
barba-jovis = Jupiter's beard
blepharophyllus = with leaves fringed like eyelids
campestris = of the fields
candidus = pure white, bright
caudatus = having a tail
coronarius = for wreaths, garlands, crowns
crassifolius = thick-leaved
edulis = edible
esculentus = edible
fistulosus = hollow
flavus = yellow
formosus =  beautiful
fruticosus = shrubby
fuscus = dark, black
graveolens = strong-smelling
hirtus = hairy, shaggy, rough
lanatus = woolly
laevigatus = smooth
latifolius = broad-leaved
luteus = yellow
maculatus = spotted, stained
majalis = pertaining to May
melliferous = honey-bearing
mitis = mild
mollis = soft
mutabilis = changeable
non-scriptus = unmarked
nummularius = coin-shaped
nutans = nodding
officinalis = with a medicinal or herbal use
oleraceus = resembling herbs
palustris = marsh-loving
papyriferus = paper-bearing
patulus = spreading
pavoninus = peacock-like
peregrinus = exotic
petraeus = of rocks
pilosus = hairy, shaggy
praecox = precocious, early
pratensis = of meadows
pravissimus = mis-shapen
pudicus = bashful
pulchellus = pretty
pulcherrimus = most beatiful
punctatus = spotted
radicans = having rooting stems
racemosus = clustering
ramosus = branched
repandus = turned up or back
repens = creeping
ruber = red
rugosus = wrinkled
rupestris =  of cliffs, rocks
sativus = cultivated, sown
saxatilis = living amongst rocks
scandens = climbing
sempervirens = evergreen
serotinus = late
siliqua = pod
stans = erect
styracifluus = flowing with fragrant gum
sylvaticus = of the woods
sylvestris = living in woods
tinctorius = used in dyeing
tomentosus = having a mass of rough hairs
unguis-cati = cat's claw
unguicularis = pertaining to a claw
urens = stinging
venustus =  charming
verus = true
vulgaris = common

Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Botanical names
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:12:27 PM »
Nice, Alice! I don't think I've yet seen a plant labelled pravissimus though I've seen and grown plenty that deserve the name....
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:39:30 AM »
I had a good giggle, Alistair. I have also grown many mis-shapen specimens!
Acacia pravissima (Oven's Wattle) was the one that came to mind.
I have fun contemplating botanical names. The most unpronounceable ones come from persons', usually botanists' names:
Betula maximowicziana, named after the Russian botanist Carl Johann Maximovich, Gaura lindheimeri, from the German botanist Ferdinand Jacob Lindheimer,
Amsonia tabernaemontana - wait for it: from the father of German botany Jacobus Theodorus Tabernaemontanus, which was the latinized name of Jakob Dietrich von Bergzabern! I have yet to work out where the word forskaohlei (as in Salvia forskaohlei) comes from.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 04:58:50 AM »
Many years ago when I first encountered Paeonia mlokosewitschii it was introduced to me as 'Molly the witch' as everyone found difficulty pronouncing it. It is named after a Polish soldier, naturalist and forester, Ludwik Franciszek Mlokosiewicz (1831-1909), who was stationed at Lagodekhi in the Caucasus, where the plant originates from.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 06:14:35 AM »
Alice,
Now that is what I call a list!
Many thanks
I liked the blepheraphyllus
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alice

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 11:29:13 AM »
Molly the witch takes the biscuit, John!

JTh

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:56:41 PM »
I have no problems with P. mlokosewitchii, but I find Ophrys tenthredinifera a real tongue twister and I have to concentrate before I say it. It is called sawfly orchid in English, which is logical, the word tenthrēdōn is said to be the Greek word for a certain group of sawflies (Tenthredinidae, they are the largest family of sawflies).
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 04:37:51 PM »
In the field we used to use the Bayer code to record species.  For example Galiun aparine (for some reason this is the example I always use) becomes GALAP.. That is using the first two letters of the Generic and and the last three of the specific name.  It works well...P.mlokosewschii therefore becomes PAMLO and Ophrys tenthredinifera becomes OPTEN.  With practice you soon get used to this method and names. 

There are very few names which can be confused .
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 08:21:26 PM »
David, That's far to cryptic for me. OK if you work in an environment with a limited number of plants and where everybody around you share the same vocabulary, but not for general use.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 06:08:25 AM »
Quite agree Jorun and....don't you mean the FIRST three letters of the specific name David? Anyway "Molly the Witch" is much more fun :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »
David's system has too many ambiguities, too. His Galap example could just as easily be Galarhoeus apios or Galax aphylla....
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 07:58:09 AM »
I realize that nothing has been posted on here for a while but I didn't want to start a new thread and the subject is tentatively connected.
Yesterday my wife and I paid a visit to a Garden Centre we hadn't frequented for some time. There she saw a red-flowered salvia and asked the manageress which one it was. The answer, Salvia coccinea. My wife's response was that was logical considering the flower colour, to be told that the name had nothing to do with the colour of the flowers but was merely the family name of the plant.
I guess you're never too old to learn something new!! :o
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 11:43:36 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something...
I would be on the side of your wife, coccineus being a Latin word for scarlet
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 02:20:03 PM »
Hi, Mike, good to see you back in action.
My closing remark above was a poor attempt at sarcasm, I'm afraid. The common names of Salvia coccinea include, Red Sage and Blood Sage, and as you point out coccinea means 'dyed scarlet'. What I would have been amazed at was the fact that someone who is in charge of a garden centre and spends every working day dealing with an assortment of plants wasn't also aware of this, if I hadn't long since ceased to be amazed at anything that I come across in these places. 

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 06:08:54 AM »
Hi John // ah - I'm with you now; agreed // Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England