ID'd by Daisy (and David himself) as Nepeta racemosa 'Little Titch'

• 5 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
A cutting of this plant was given to me in Berlin so I presume it is hardy. It survived over winter and since the arrival of spring has tripled in size. Let's hope it can withstand summer heat here. Leaves have no smell. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:10:07 PM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Daisy

Re: Third of a few requests for...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »
"Leaves have no smell"
Are you sure David? It is catmint. Nepeta mussinii.
I have just been out to sniff mine and the leaves have a strong scent.
I cut mine hard back, not long ago, so it is not yet in flower.
Here it is last year.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »
Hi Daisy,

How I wish my balcony looked even a 10th as great as your garden!

I have just been out to have a check. No smell I'm afraid and it is in full morning sun and has been since last November. Looking at the flower spikes on your plant I can't imagine it ever having flower spikes as tall as those on your plant. True, mine is only in its first year and in a small pot (though I transplanted it yesterday after I had taken the photos I submitted). Doesn't seem to have that upright look of your plant either. Seems more of a low growing thing. Let's see if your ID is spot on as it grows over the year. Are there any dwarf hybrids of Catmint?

Thanks for the lead :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
Hi Daisy,

I have just looked at some other images for Nepetea mussinnii on the net and they are much more like the plant I have. Yours have such magnificent flower spikes that they fooled me for a moment. How do you do it? Let's hope the cat from the flat above isn't tempted to jump down to pay the catmint a visit :-) Maybe not because it doesn't smell! What am I doing wrong? Thanks Daisy.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:30:31 AM »
I have been looking up Nepeta musinnii and discovered that there is a dwarf variety called "little titch". The photos on the internet correspond to my plant. So, you were right Daisy. Thanks :). I also read that the latest name is Nepeta racemosa and that what is often sold as Nepeta musinnii turns out to be Nepeta x faasenii. Photos on the internet look very much like the plant in your photo as far as size and more upright nature go.

By the way, when I said in my previous posting "Let's hope the cat from the flat above isn't tempted to jump down to pay the catmint a visit :-). Maybe not because it doesn't smell!", the "it" refers to the plant and not to the cat's personal hygiene nor its olfactory capacity"

Thanks again.

David

Daisy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 04:50:24 PM »
My plant is Nepeta racemosa Walker's Low. It does hug the ground rather than grow upright. It is just the flower spikes that are more upright. Strangely, my cats ignore it most of the time, but they love rolling in Calamintha nepeta Blue Cloud, which is just a few feet away.
That one is definitely their favourite.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS