Zantedeschia aethiopica

• 5 Replies

Daisy

Zantedeschia aethiopica
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:08:39 AM »
When we moved in 2008, from Cornwall in England to Crete, I bought with me a Zantedeschia aethiopica. ( Yes, I know, coals to Newcastle.) ::) ::) ::)
It stayed in it's pot, until early spring this year,when I was finally able to plant it out.
When I planted it out, I took off four pieces, potted them separately, and put those  in the pond.  The main part of it, I planted in full sun, where it had previously been standing in it's pot for two years.
All of it, both in the ground and in the pond, grew and flowered well until a few weeks ago. Then, the plants in the pond, all of a sudden, died back to nothing.  The large plant in the ground is also dying back a lot.
There is very little of it left now.
When it was still in it's pot, it finished it's flowering period at this same time of year. but did not die back.
Has anybody any idea what the problem may be?
Thanks. Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

pamela

Re: Zantedeschia aethiopica
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »
Hello Daisy
I also brought Arum lily from London to Spain. I have them in two large pots, well watered and in dappled shade.  I have also planted one in the garden here under a Ficus rubiginosa v. australis (but not so close that there would be a water problem ).
The two in the pots look frankly miserable at the moment and the one under the ficus looks ...well not that happy.  They simply don't do well here in Spain.  In London in our small garden which backed on to Highgate wood giving a woodland/dampish feel to our garden, they were amazing.  I put a great effort into bringing them here complete in their pots......but I have to say I am disappointed..but I keep trying with them.
However, if yours performed well, they are just going into resting mode and when the leaves start to go yellow you should cut them back to nearly ground level. I did that very year in London.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:21:03 PM by Alisdair »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:23:09 AM »
I have just been out, to have a closer look at it. I gently pulled a piece and it came straight out of the ground.
The base of the clump, was completely rotten. Examining it and then consulting my books, it looks like it is Bacterial Soft Rot.
Boo Hoo :'( :'( :'(
Well, It was a really good plant for many years. So I can't really complain.
I will get another, but I don't know how long I have to leave that area of soil barren.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Daisy

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:31:01 AM »
Pamela, Take heart that mine was happy, in full sun here in Crete. Both in and out of a pot.
I know that this is the time of year, that they go into minimalist mode.
If yours are healthy, they should perk up in the autumn.
Daisy :)

ezeiza

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 10:47:27 PM »
Have you added manure to the pond?
That rot is usually cured by Terramicine but the rhizome must be lifted as first symptoms of dieback appear, all rotten parts removed and cleaned and the surviving part treated with chlorine bleach, then treated with the antibiotic.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:50:40 AM »
I've seen Zantedeschia aethiopica growing wild in the marshes around Mesolongi (of malaria and Lord Byron fame) but mine grow without any irrigation and die away totally every summer. I have then in a stone well-head so that they aren't dug up by mistake and which looks OK with bare soil.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece