A sensuous pleasure.

• 1 Replies

Daisy

A sensuous pleasure.
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:43:57 AM »
On Monday and into Tuesday mid-morning, we had a light but steady rain here in Crete. After it had finished and the sun had come out, I went into the garden.
I was stopped in my tracks with the first step outside. I was completely enveloped with the scents of the garden. It seemed that every single leaf and blossom was producing a perfume. No wind and the humidity after the rain meant that all the perfumes, weren't just wafting, they were pulsating strongly at me.
Walking past the rose Colombian Climber with it's sweet, dry, powdery perfume, I didn't have to stop and smell a bloom. It came to me, overwhelmingly.
Up to Rose Archduke Charles, which normally, has no scent at all to my nose, I could smell it's flowery scent easily.
Even the soil had a rich earthy scent and as for the path between Madam Alfred Carriere and Sombreuil, their perfumes came with such a force, I had to stop and sit down on a step.
The orange tree, which this year has more blossom than I have ever seen before, pervaded the whole garden.
It's just as well that my sweet peas are not yet in flower, or I could of died of sensory overload.
Daisy ;D ;D ;D

Archduke Charles

Madam Alfred Carriere.

Sombreuil.

Orange blossom with Rose Marechal Niel

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

anita

Re: A sensuous pleasure.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 05:01:41 PM »
Thank you for sharing Daisy.
Moments like those are what makes gardening such a pleasure.
I love that scent of wet earth after rain.
Anita
Dry mediterranean climate, avg annual rainfall 530mm, little or no frost. Winter minimum 1C, summer max 45C