Please help: advice on planting a mail-order container rose

• 7 Replies

Pallas

• Email
Please help: advice on planting a mail-order container rose
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:50:10 PM »
Hello fellow MGSers

I am a fairly new member and forumer (is that a word?) and need some help.

My containerised 'Mme Alfred Carrière' from Peter Beale has just arrived (yay!) but I feel very unsure about the planting instructions, which refer only to roses bought either in late autumn or in July/August.

I would really love some help from others gardening in the Mediterranean: I've unpacked it, it's alive, what do I do next? I have put it in a sheltered and shady spot so it can recover from being shut in a cardboard box. Should I wait until June to plant it (which is what the planting instructions seem to imply) or should/can I plant it in the next few days when it's recovered from the stress of its travels? What has worked for you?

I am in Málaga, right on the coast, where it's always very mild and in the last few days it's got really quite warm (mid-20s). It is going into relatively sheltered spot, with direct sun for at most 5-6 hours per day.

Any advice very gratefully received.

Gracias!

S.
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Please help: advice on planting a mail-order container rose
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »
Although I am no expert on Roses I would think that the best thing to do is to plant your new arrival as soon as possible and give it good ongoing care. You are right to have put it in a sheltered place to recover from the journey but it is going to have to adapt to prevailing conditions sooner or later....Obviously you will prepare a good planting hole and incorporate some well rotted and mature manure if available, or failing that some good compost  :). Spread the roots well and plant firmly. Ongoing care is obviously to keep the surrounding soil well watered and a mulch spread around the plant is very beneficial to prevent evaporation. If the temperatures continue to climb rapidly you could provide some kind of temporary shading until the plant has settled and hopefully adapted to its new home. Although sometimes something of an eyesore I find this very useful especially during the hottest hours of the day -  bit labour intensive but well worth it when trying to establish something you really want :)
Good luck - perhaps some of our Rosé experts will have some better tips ....
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alice

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 03:29:25 PM »
I am not a rose expert either but would agree entirely with Umbrian's advice. I am sure there would be no advantages waiting until June to plant out - much better to plant before it gets too hot.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:15:02 AM by Alice »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 07:02:13 PM »
Many thanks, Umbrian, for the detailed instructions, and to Alice for chiming in with support; I will do as you suggest. Waiting until June didn't sound right for our climates, although I am sure it makes sense in the UK. I will be fussing over the Madame for the next while as she settles in!
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »
I know a bit about roses and couldn't agree more with the other respondents. Plant it immediately. If it looks a bit sad and drawn I'd soak it for 24 hrs, or o/night, in a tub of weak seaweed compound to stimulate new tip-root cell growth. Afterward I'd water the rose in with the left over soak-water.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 10:40:19 AM »
Many thanks, Trevor, for taking the time and for your advice. I feel very clear and reassured about planting her now.

Madame looks very perky and has already put out new leaves, which I am very happy about. She is stuck in her pot for 2 more days because the builders who turned the tumbled-down rubble (known as 'rockeries' by previous owner) into lovely dry-stone walls have had to come back, suck air through their teeth and redo one part and I don't want to plant her until there is no chance of further disturbance.

It's been very reassuring to read the advice, thanks again.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »
So... two weeks after she arrived, the work has FINALLY finished, and Madame went into the ground yesterday! Happily, we had just had two days of rain, so the ground was nicely soaked after this very dry spring and temperatures are nice and balmy.

Although confined to her pot, Madame lost no time in making herself at home and put on over 30cms of new growth. Now, 24 hours after planting, she's looking happy, and so am I; thanks again for all the excellent advice.

Now to await the first bloom... or am I having a rush of blood to the head????

S.

PS. It may be worth adding that I emailed Peter Beale's two weeks ago to ask for their advice on planting, but have yet to receive a reply. So, customer service not ideal at this busy time of year, but on the all-important plus side, the rose was sent promptly, arrived in excellent condition and seems to be hitting the ground running (so to speak...).

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 06:07:20 PM »
Glad to hear that both you and your new "baby" are happy - keep us informed of her progress :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.