Melianthus major

• 4 Replies

John J

Melianthus major
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:08:43 AM »
We returned from almost 3 weeks away to find this plant, acquired from Sparoza, in flower for the first time.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Melianthus major
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 03:47:58 PM »
And here comes another Trevor-style warning - this plant grows enormous as the mother sends out babies in all directions. That's why Sally at Sparoza has so many to pass on.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 04:29:24 PM »
I guess that's ok until I run out of space and/or friends to pass them on to!!!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Trevor Australis

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:39:20 PM »
Oh Dear, am I getting a reputation? :-[ Yes, it can get big, tall and sprawling and with more water than ours gets it certainly grows with vigour and spreads. There is a similar looking but much smaller foliage plant tho' with flowers that resemble the herb salad burnet. It's called Dendro ? something. Now that's a challenge; what is the name?
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Jamus

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 10:41:44 PM »

I love my Melianthus major and wouldn't be without it! There's just something about the foliage that makes a bold statement, and the flowers are lovely too and the honeyeaters appreciate the nectar. I recently cut off a couple of the offshoots and potted them up for sharing. The main problem I have with ours is that the winter South Westerlies tend to flatten it and I'm forced to stake and tie it up.
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.