bulbs in pots

• 1 Replies

Daisy

bulbs in pots
« on: September 25, 2011, 10:34:58 AM »
All my bulbs have arrived now.  ;D ;D ;D However, some areas of the garden are not ready to plant yet, so I am potting some of them instead.
In the U.K. I would often plant narcissi in the lower part of the pot, and crocus above them.
The crocus would come up and flower first, followed later by the narcissi. The crocus flowering would not be obscured by the narcissi coming up too soon.
However here things are different.
Would the narcissi come up before the crocus had finished their flowering? Does anybody know?
If it is so, I will pot them seperately.
The narcissi are of the Jonquil family. The crocus are the early flowering Cream Beauty, Blue Pearl, Ladykiller and Ard Schenk.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

ezeiza

Re: bulbs in pots
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
Potting them separetedly you will know which variety is where. Something that is not used often is to pot the bulbs and plunge the pots in different parts of the garden as if they were growing in the ground. Later on if necessary you can take them out of sight until their natural cycle is over. And giving them the proper dormancy in a shed or garage is easiest if they are in pots. Granted, it does not apply to tenths of pots but the specialties well deserve this.