Phoenix canariensis ....blotchy leaf bases

• 2 Replies

saldemain

• Email
Phoenix canariensis ....blotchy leaf bases
« on: March 25, 2014, 04:13:45 PM »
has anybody come across this on their Phoenix palms. the blotches are mainly at the bottom of the leaf bases and few leaf spots on the upper leaf fronds. all fronds from oldest inwards show these markings. other plants in the garden have leaf spots, whether related or not. Oleander, Viburnum & Hibiscus. They were present 1 1/2 yrs ago when I took over the garden. I have since been treating with Baycor & captan with little effect on any. I understand the palm will take many seasons to recover as it has to grow new unaffected leaves. anyway any help .......will help !!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:41:06 PM by Alisdair »
Gardener , living in the Algarve for 10 yrs , studying diploma of horticulture .

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Pheonix canariensis ....blotchy leaf bases
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »
http://plantdiseasehandbook.tamu.edu/landscaping/trees/palm/

Try this website...i don,t think it,s Palm Decline...however maybe the pics will help. 
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

saldemain

• Email
Re: Phoenix canariensis ....blotchy leaf bases
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 03:47:16 PM »
Thanks David, had a good look around the pictures, I don't think its palm decline, the actual blades don't seem to be affected, only the petiole & leaf base. It doesn't seem to affect its vigour but ive only looked after it for 1 1/2 yrs. The most likely culprit seems to be petiole blight , as only the petiole and leaf bases are affected, although seen no spores as yet. I will carry on with my fungicidal regime and hope it clears up. Thanks for the advice and the links.........very helpful  .............. cheers sal.
Gardener , living in the Algarve for 10 yrs , studying diploma of horticulture .