Weed IDd by Oron as Amaranthus blitoides

• 4 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Weed IDd by Oron as Amaranthus blitoides
« on: August 03, 2011, 12:29:20 PM »
This is very common on my plot, germinating any time, spring or summer, and managing to grow and look healthy on the driest of soils with no water for months now. It forms a mat to start with on bare soil, but will romp up and through other plants given a chance. The flowers are in inconspicuous bunches in leaf axils (in flower now), and the seeds are rounding black and shiny (and abundant). It forms a strong tap root that is pink in colour; that colour may pervade the stems to various degrees.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:02:45 PM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Yes, it is a weed, but I'd still like to know what it is, please
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »
Nice clear pictures, Mike - but I don't know what it is! I'm sure you'll get a quick answer from one of the experts.
And a gentle reminder that, if you can, it's best to keep the width of pictures down to about 760 pixels or less, and the height to about 560 pixels or less (see here), as we're trying to avoid people having to scroll around on their screens 8)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:16:53 PM »
ah - sorry about that; I have downsized the photos now; thanks for the reminder Alasdair
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
Mike

That is Amaranthus blitoides   a terrible invasive plant originated in America.
It thrives in any ground disturbed by human, roadsides etc.
Oron
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:10:42 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:41:36 PM »
Oron,
Thanks for another super-quick ident :)
Mike