Zantedeschia aethiopica 'Green Goddess'

• 2 Replies

John J

Zantedeschia aethiopica 'Green Goddess'
« on: March 08, 2014, 05:27:56 PM »
Several years ago a fellow MGS member here in Cyprus gave me a small Green Goddess plant. It didn't appear to thrive and I thought I'd lost it. Suddenly this year up popped the following flower to take us completely by surprise.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Trevor Australis

Re: Zantedeschia aethiopica 'Green Goddess'
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:21:04 PM »
Well, congratulations......... now stand well back :-\ They will spread and rather too quickly if they like you. I've had to resort to spraying the increase with black-berry and ivy killer to bring them under control. Now I just dig out the excess increase but I don't give them away. I put the tubers in a black plastic bag and leaves them in the sun for a few months until they've rotted. In southern Western Australia, around the Margaret River the common white form is a noxious weed invading waterways and wet pasture land. Nothing seems to curb them except for heavy frosts or snow and extended cold weather.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

John J

Re: Zantedeschia aethiopica 'Green Goddess'
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:05:35 AM »
Trevor, sorry I've only just got around to replying to your warning. As it has taken so long to establish itself I'm hoping that it won't get out of hand in the location it's in. I shall keep a close eye on it all the same! Thanks.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)