Euryops

• 2 Replies

Daisy

Euryops
« on: March 07, 2014, 07:52:48 AM »
I found an Euryops pectinatus, on the plant stall in the market, last week.
I used to grow this in Cornwall, where it flowered year round.
Does anybody know how long it flowers for, in a mediterranean climate?
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Euryops
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:58:09 AM »
I was in love with this plant with its neat rounded shape and bright yellow flowers particularly in the winter months. It looks a bit scruffy at the end of the summer but I can't be bothered to dehead it and just avert my eyes until the new flowers come.  However it started dying on me as if it had a fixed life-span and leaving big gaps in the beds, so now I treat it as expendable like some lavenders, Lavandula multifida in particular. I don't know if this is the effect of the climate.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Daisy

Re: Euryops
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 07:27:02 AM »
Thanks for that information Fleur.
I think that a lot of plants that flower non stop, don't have a long life span. Even in Cornwall, it tended to fizzle out after 3 or 4 years. Although I found that cutting it hard back after the third year, prolonged it's life by a few more years.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS